Monday, August 29, 2011

Fleas and Berries

I have finally found an insect I hate more than mosquitoes: fleas. You see, mosquitoes typically gather near standing water, which I have very little of in my house. Fleas, on the other hand, do not need any kind of environmental crutches to survive. All they need is a little space and the will to turn otherwise competent humans into babbling, crying, OCD-cleaning puddle o' meltdowns. Living in the high and dry climate of New Mexico, mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas were rarely a problem (don't send a hit to my house yet- we did have cockroaches). Cockroaches can be killed if you stand on a counter, throw heavy silverware, and scream until someone comes to dispose of them probably. But fleas... fleas are an entirely different ballgame. Now sit, and let me tell you the story of our encounter with fleas.
Disclaimer: Fleas are, in fact, not cute and cuddly. This image is to protect you from getting the heebie-jeebies.



After a relaxing week and a half in New Mexico visiting our families, my husband and I returned to (horrors!) a house and three dogs full of fleas. We are in the process of cleaning/throwing out/exorcising our shelter from these terrible beasts. That phrase of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of desperate vacuuming"? Beyond true. A word to the wise: prevent fleas. It is truly easier said than done. However, I am here to dole out my worldly advice to whoever is having problems with fleas.

  • Quarantine everything: flea and non-flea. We are lucky enough to have two bedrooms; if you live in a small space, I suggest cleaning things one by one, and sealing whatever you can fit into giant Ziploc bags.
  • Wash your pets, even if they are indoor. Twice. We used Sentry Flea and Tick Shampoo, as well as Frontline on all our dogs.
  • Vacuum. Then vacuum four more times. After that, shampoo your carpets. Wash your clothes. Wash your hair. Wash your sanity.
  • Set off a flea bomb, and leave your house for several hours. Return, open the windows, and move into a plastic bubble. Enjoy your flea-free existence.
I know, I know, this topic is sooooooo boring. I probably shouldn't have put up something so depressing as my second post in blogging history, but I'm hoping this helps even one person.

On a lighter note, it is blackberry season here in Washington. My husband and I discovered a very secret blackberry patch on an old dirt road near a towing company. Our romantic dates are out of control. Anyway, the berries up here are unbelievable. It's like God saying, "Grocery store? Gurrrrrl, please." We collected hundreds of blackberries, mostly in our bellies. We also were not all that alone:


Oh deer.







Sorry the picture isn't very good, but it was sunset. If you could look any closer, you would see that they still have their little fawn spots. I die, as the great Rachel Zoe said. Moving on from that, there were blackberries. Many, many blackberries, and we picked them. Observe.


Ta-da!


And there are a million more bushes that look just like this. It is a tad overwhelming to have all these berries at your fingertips. While they are quite delicious on their own, especially right out of a giant wooden bowl while wearing a white striped dress, sometimes you just need to improve on what nature gives you. With flour, sugar, and butter. That being said, I am generously presenting to you a list of blackberry recipes, all of which I plan to complete. There are a lot of berries to be picked, and waste not, want not.

  1. Blackberry Crumb Buckles (www.memoriesinthebaking.blogspot.com)
  2. Mini Vanilla Cupcakes with Blackberry Frosting (www.cosmocookie.blogspot.com)
  3. Blackberry Cheesecake Tart (www.yammiesnoshery.blogspot.com)
  4. Blackberry Lemon Crumble (www.blessherheart.typepad.com)
  5. Blackberry Pie Bars (www.pink-parsley.com)

My sacrifices are so wonderful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment