Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hot Cocoa Sugar Cookies

Fall has come to Washington. The mornings are unbelievably cold, and the days are disgustingly perfect. You know those afternoons where it's sunny and breezy, with a little chill? It's just enough to make you want to put on a sweater and go wander around, savoring the last month that you can go outside without getting frostbite.

I took the terrorists out for a walk yesterday, when the weather was just like that. In hopes of finding the last blackberries of the season, we decided to go to our little hidden blackberry patch. When we got there, I tried to pick blackberries but didn't find any good ones. I collapse on the ground in tears and wailed to the heavens.

Just kidding. I picked as many as I could, and then wandered around. In the meantime, the dogs were off doing their thing. I let them off the leash, and they take off running, disappearing into the brush. Don't worry, we have never lost a dog. It's very hard to ignore the thunderous noise and trail of destroyed underbrush.

I stumbled across some more of that fresh mint, which is still alive and well.


These are some of my favorite days to bake, besides freezing cold winter days. I rifled through my drawers (not the undergarment kind, either), and didn't find any chocolate chips, and I once again collapse on the ground in tears and wailed to the heavens.

For real. Shortly after, I recovered, recollected my shreds of dignity, and decided to bake anyway. Here's what was the inspiration to today's carb debacle.


I found this sitting in the snack cabinet. I don't know where it's from, or how long it's been there, all I know is that it hasn't been used and is therefore mine. In my world, if I touched it, it is mine.

I think I'll bake something with some butter. But just a little.


Oh geez. That is not two sticks of butter.

Things are going downhill very quickly. Let me fix it real quick.


That didn't help at all. I give up. Maybe I should just put it in a bowl and see what happens.


I just love it when I throw in the towel. Along with a couple of eggs.


And then stir up said towel.


It's hard to take good pictures when you're smacking yourself with a wooden spoon. It gets easier from here. Just add the flour to make things better.


This part is optional, but I love vanilla and add it to everything I can. Things sometimes get a little out of control. I imagine that if I were ever hospitalized for a long period of time, I would request vanilla extract in my IV.


And boring old baking powder, which is really not all that boring because it makes my nom-noms even more nom-nom-ier. But still... not that exciting.


Now stir and stir until your arm feels like falling off and you want to die and your dough looks something like this.


Put the bowl in the fridge, along with a couple cookie sheets. Pace your kitchen floor and writhe in agony for about ten minutes, until the dough has chilled.

Now you can scoop out little balls of dough. I used a teaspoon, and just heaped it on.


Incidentally, did you notice my pretty pink nail polish? It makes me feel like a ballerina. Never mind the weird purple fingers. It's something in the air.

Form the dough into a little ball, and plop it into the bowl of hot cocoa mix.


Roll it around gently to coat. Take your time. Cuddle. Giggle. Allow yourself to enjoy the cocoa love.

Ahem... sorry.

Once you get your bearings again, place the coated dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Line them up about two inches apart.




I want to rest in their shade. BUT. They must be baked.
Preheat the oven, put the cookie sheets in. Cook for five minutes.




DON'T EAT THEM. Yet. Just rotate the pans, and bake for five more minutes. Don't panic, I promise it will be worth your time.

Oh, dear. Well, this is no good. And by no good, I mean completely and utterly delicious. The next few minutes of my life are going to be a big sugary nothing as I slip into a happy coma.




These won't even make it a day. And it will be my fault. They taste so amazing. And chewy. And soft. And sweet. Like they are injected with magic.






Good thing there are a lot.

Hot Cocoa Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
    -1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
    -2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
    -1 1/2 cup of sugar
    -2 large eggs
    -Splash of vanilla extract
    -2 1/2 tsp of baking powder
    -3 tbsp of hot chocolate powder

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Blend until smooth.
  2. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix until a sticky dough forms. Refrigerate dough for 10 minutes, along with two baking sheets. Place the hot chocolate powder in a small bowl.
  3. Remove from refrigerator. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside. Using a teaspoon, scoop a 1 inch round of dough from the bowl. Form into a sphere with your hands. Dip in the hot chocolate mix, rolling around to coat.
  4. Line up dough on the baking sheet, about two inches apart. Place both cookie sheets in the oven, one in the middle and one in the upper third. Allow to bake for 5 minutes.
  5. After five minutes, switch the cookie sheets. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes. Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. Can be stored in airtight container for three days.










No comments:

Post a Comment